The old brick factory has a new life!
It has been transformed into a modern and elegant meeting point which hosts a library, a café, exhibitions, some local groups and organizations.
Its name eFFeMMe is the acronym of Fornace Moie, while 23 refers to 1923, the year in which the brick kiln was equipped with Hoffmann’ s furnace that has been preserved together with the volumetry and the chimney.
Have a tour inside the galleries to explore the history of the old brick kiln and enjoy a charming “ voyage of culture”, created by the rich collection of books of its modern and comfortable library.
Maiolati stands on a hill 412 meters above sea level.
It dates back to the Midddle Ages, like the other castles of the middle valley of the River Esino.
In the thirteenth century Maiolati and Villa Talliano, situated in the middle of the hill that slopes into the River Esino, were two small villages located at a short distance from one another.
Thanks to its position, Maiolati became soon a castrum; it was part of the County of Jesi from the first decades of the thirteenth century until its dissolution in 1808. Like many other villas in Vallesina, Villa Talliano was built after the eleventh century as an extension of a curtis, that is a complex of dispersed landed properties. It belonged to the bishop of Jesi and was contended from Jesi in 1262 which then acquired all rights.
Not far away, take a gander inside the church of Saint Sisto of Talliano with the attached cloister.
The church and monastery were probably founded by the monks coming from St. Elena Abbey; in fact they both belonged to it in 1199.
In 1305 they both suffered severe damages because of the struggle between Jesi and the inhabitants of Fabriano.
The church of St. Sisto now standing in place of the monastery was probably rebuilt in the XVIII-XIX centuries. Visit the remains from Neolithic and Roman ages found in this area, more exactly in Massarella Street on the east side of Maiolati.
In the period from the seventh to the ninth century, the whole ridge was the border area between the Longobard Duchy of Spoleto and Camerino and the Byzantine Pentapolis. Many of the “loci dominus” have a Longobard origin and they were later put to the head of the fortified villages and castles.
Distance: km 35
Time advised: 3 hours
Starting from the parking in front of the cellar Colonnara and following the signs indicating the historic centre, take the road that leads to Staffolo until you reach the junction called Pian della Casa. Then turn to the right for Apiro. Once arrived in Apiro, head to Piani di Apiro; near the pool, follow the road down the hill that borders the pine forest . Continue until you cross the white road; turn right and shortly after, again on the right side of the church, take the white road downhill through the woods (dangerous descent, be careful!).
After a series of ups and downs through woodland, turn left for the tarmac road that leads to the source of Crevalcuore. Follow the tarmac road for about 2 km, turn left at the junction and go uphill on the white road until you reach Valcarecce. Having passed the hamlet, turn right; continue along the white road over a series of ups and downs and at the junction of the hamlet called Ca de Berti, take the road on the left which soon after reaches the Church of Colognola. At the next intersection with a large metal Crucifix, turn right and follow the main road downhill. From the stream Acqualta take the road to Staffolo and proceed downhill to San Paolo. Near the war memorial of San Paolo, take the tarmac road to the source of Barbanera and turn right onto the dirt road leading to the ditch of Follonica. Having crossed the first bridge, turn right for the second bridge where the steep path climbs up to San Michele.
Having passed the Church of San Michele, take the white road on the left following the sign indicating Contrada Colonnara. After about 600 metres, turn right at the junction and start climbing calmly because there is a difference in height of about 200 metres with a sixteen per cent gradient.
At the end of the climb marked by the “Stop”,follow the signs indicating “Conad” and you easily reach the point of departure.