The origins of the castle are to be dated back to the thirteenth century as the chronicles report speaking about a “villa” over the hill which was under the feudal jurisdiction of the bishop of Jesi.
Take a gander inside San Marcello al Poggio, a small Romanesque Benedectine church where a fresco of the crucifixion was found.
It dates back to the XV century and surely belonged to Fabriano school. Snap a photo of it, restored and displayed in the parish church.
Admire the Gothic Crypt dating back to 1300 in the church of Santa Maria del Monte, situated along Gioncare Street, a few kilometers from Poggio San Marcello.
In 1261 the Castle of Poggio San Marcello was already a well organized urban centre and became part of Jesi in 1301. It was under its jurisdiction, as an important document of 1530 reported. It is the most ancient parchment attesting the participation of Poggio San Marcello to the traditional “Palio di San Floriano”, on the feast of Jesi’s patron, St. Florian.
The local historical archives report that Poggio San Marcello was under the rule of Jesi, even if a certain autonomy was granted. It lasted until the fall of "Ancien Regime" in Marche, after the Napoleonic invasion of territory of the Papal States.
In 1926 the municipality of Poggio San Marcello was abolished and considered hamlet of Castelplanio. But in 1947 it gained its independence again.
Enjoy a tour inside the castle walls where the beautiful buildings witness the intense life during the 1600s and 1700s.
The Town Hall, built in 1772 and designed by Andrea Vici of Rocca Contrada (now Arcevia), has been recently restored and has a frescoed ceiling with beautiful decorations. Do not forget to visit it!